Tuesday, February 16, 2010

David Zwirner gallery New York

Craig Kauffman

The highlight for me in New York was obviously the galleries. I didn't get to as many as I had planned via my New York Galleries book. I did make it to MOMA, Guggenheim, MET (briefly), Brooklyn Museum, New Contemporary Art Museum, and David Zwirner, as well as a few tiny galleries I don't know the names of. Anyway there's always next time I fly thousands of kilometres around the world to New York. David Zwirner gallery represents some of my favourite artists such as Michael Borremans, Luc Tuymans, Chris Ofili, Alice Neel etc. Anyway I suddenly remembered on one of my last days in New York, that David Zwirner is based in New York, so I looked up the gallery and went. They were having an exhibition of Dan Flavin and other American minimalist artists who came to recognition during the 1960s. other artists represented included; Craig Kauffman, Larry Bell, Peter Alexander, Helen Pashgian. Most of the works were focused on light and the way light or the lack thereof affects the space around it. Had already seen quite a few similar works in galleries like MOCA, however it was nice seeing it all together. And I loved the shiny highly polished exteriors. By far my favourite piece was the extremely beautiful and fluid 'Untitled' by Craig Kauffman. To me this sculpture feels perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search This Blog